Friday 23 September 2011

Feed your mind

You're probably aware by now that I'm a fan of the Associated Minds crew and their philosophies on Hip Hop and music in general. Well it seems that I'm not the only one (of course I'm not, but I'm just making a point here) as their recent collaboration with Eatgood Records shows.


'The Highball EP' features, as you would expect, just about every emcee, composer and producer from both cliques in a concentrated mass of musical mayhem.


Another, smaller, but equally potent crew that I'm a fan of is the Quaranteam, of which Skillit is a member. Taken from his 'As Seen On TV' EP, 'Tom Shanks' is Skillit's latest single and, to my ears at least, is a parody of the violence so often promoted in Hip Hop and Grime these days. Maybe I'm reading too much into it? Maybe Skillit is just a violent motherfucker? But, having met him and seen him performing, I don't think so.


This is a previously unreleased track from M9 who, literally, gave us the excellent 'Orion's Stencil' last year. Fortunately, for me at least, there were some physical CD's to purchase of this project too but they don't seem to appear as on option on the download site anymore. I'm glad I bought mine when I did.


Not exactly new (released in August) but still worth a mention, especially given my absence from the blog world in recent months, is Configa's 'Calm Before The Storm'. Once again this Toon producer adds boom to baps and comes up with a tasty sandwich with all the trimmings. Unlike his previous release, 'Pac To The Essence Vol. 1', this one is only available as a download but I'm hoping his upcoming album 'Inside The Echo Chamber' will be available in a physical format. We shall see.

Before I go, a quick heads up on a forthcoming event; ELZHI will be appearing at the Jazz Cafe on Thursday, 3rd November with a live band plus support from Yungun, Mr Thing and Spin Doctor. For more details and/or to register your interest check out the Facebook page for the event.

One Love, Spy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my post. I read all my comments before I post them so please be patient.

One Love, Spy!