Friday 11 November 2011

Heavy Smoke

This week has seen the passing of two iconic figures from the African American world of entertainment; Heavy D, rapper, producer, A&R and, more recently, actor and probably the only man to strike fear in the heart of Muhammad Ali, 'Smokin' Joe Frazier.


Now I won't pretend that I am one of Heavy D's greatest admirers. To be honest most of the music I heard from him was a bit too twee for my liking, but I do acknowledge the effect he has (had) on his fans and offer my genuine condolences to all the family, friends and followers of the 'overweight lover' that are left behind. And to think that he was the same age as me...


Joe Frazier was a boxing legend, from the days when it really was a sport worth watching and the phrase "heavyweight champion of the world" was almost held in as much awe as "President of the United States of Amerca" (although it must be said that the latter has lost a lot of its shine too). Frazier was one of the few prominent people to publicly back Ali in his fight to be reinstated by the boxing board following Ali's refusal to be drafted into the US Army. Frazier even petitioned the then president, Richard Nixon.

Once he was cleared to fight again, Ali went on to 'accuse' Frazier of being an Uncle Tom in the build up to one of their infamous world title bouts. This was a step too far (and one that Ali later public displayed remorse for) as far as Frazier was concerned and led to an irreparable rift in their relationship.

I will always be a fan of Ali, but I never took props away from Frazier. They even made records about his legendary clashes with the likes of Ali and Foreman. I can't think of any modern day boxers (or any other sports people) that would inspire musicians to make music about them.


Fortunately, it hasn't all been sad/bad news over the last few weeks. For example, English Frank's latest release 'Road To Riches', which features the vocal talents of Cerose, is available on iTunes for the paltry sum of seventy-nine English pennies and, as you can see/hear, is really rather good old bean.


Alternatively, you can grab yourself a whole EP of quality baps and booms for free - 'BEHOLD!' is the result of a collaboration between Superior Thought & OphQi, collectively known as S.M.R.G.. The EP features guest appearances from Young Prince, Big Frizzle, Iron Braydz and more and is further proof that Hip Hop music (and culture) has not put its foot anywhere near a bucket.


You may recall the God Loves Grinders 'mixtape' released by Grand Central earlier this year. Well, if 'God' exists at all, he/she/it must really love Mr Drastick & K.I.N.E.T.I.K. because they haven't stopped putting in work and are due to release 'GLG vol. 2' early next year. In the meantime, they've given us the teaser above to sate our appetites. Sorry lads, I'm still hungry and greedily looking forward to the whole set.


Crossing over to the other side of the Atlantic, I'm very pleased to announce the return of Line For Line with their new album 'Showcase'. You'd think that with so many members of the group vying for attention that there wouldn't be any features on this album, but they still managed to squeeze in the talents of General Steele and LaWanda Michelle on to the 15 track set. Check out the first single, 'Clap Your Hands' for free.


Staying in the US, a duo of emcees/producers known as the Architect Lordz have a new thang too, the 'Smoking After Dark' EP, which is available as a digital download for whatever price you choose starting at $1.00. It appears that the old saying is true, big things really do come in small packages and certainly at a small price.

Right then, I'm off to shake two foot with my missus to the sounds of Loose Ends at the Jazz Cafe. See ya next time.

One Love, Spy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my post. I read all my comments before I post them so please be patient.

One Love, Spy!